Reflecting on 9/11

Monday, May 2, 2011

I'm really reflecting today.  My Mom always told me she will never forget where she was when she heard the news about JFK. She also said she hoped I never had a moment like that in my life.  Unfortunately for me, and all of us, we have 9/11 in our lives. 
       So where were you, and/or what were you doing when you first heard any news about the events of 9/11?  How did you feel and react?  What were your first thoughts?  What did you do?
       I had just dropped ODS off at daycare, said hello to a good friends who mentioned that she was on her way to the airport for a biz trip to Dallas.  Listening to my morning radio show in the car, they casually interrupted that one of the towers was on fire.  Not sure if it was a bomb or otherwise.  By the time I got to work.  The 2nd tower had been hit.  Once at work, we were told we could leave if we wanted.  My biz trip to NY had been cancelled, or I would have been there.  My counterparts and boss were there and watched Tower 2 fall.  They were horrified, terrified and couldn't get home. We drove quickly to pick up ODS and went home.  We glued ourselves to the TV, sat there stunned and speechless for the rest of the day and night. 
       The strangest (can't find a better word) thing for me was that ODS was 16 months old.  He still had to eat, nap and play.  Life had to go on, and I felt GUILTY.  I felt WRONG to smile as he played.  He didn't know any better.  I said to DH, "We will have to explain this to him someday.  It will be in his History books at school".  I took him outside on the driveway to ride his scooter.  It was a GORGEOUS warm day.  Not a single could in the sky.  And no airplanes either.  It was eerily quiet.  We lived between 2 airports. There were always airplanes flying overhead. 
        I had the foresight to take a few pictures, knowing that someday I would scrap about that day.  I did.  I may add to the journaling now.  There is so much more to say.

1 comment:

  1. DD and I were getting ready for school and work; I was combing out her hair when the news story broke. We just stood still. DD was only five years old, and after standing still with our mouths agape, she said, "I don't understand everything that is going on, but this really doesn't look good." I told her I agreed and tried to move her out of the room, but wanted to stay and watch myself. She insisted on staying. It was just eerie.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS